Friday, September 10, 2010

A quick thought...

I thought this was an interesting example of everything I think is wrong with society:

Facebook friend: Homeless woman on the walk to the Sounders game told me I'd be homeless one day after I told her I wasn't going to give her money.

Don't worry. I corrected her.


How can someone be so crass and self-assured? I mean, there's all of the obvious arguments, like maybe this guy could get hit by a bus and wind up in a wheelchair and slowly lose whatever fortune he has, but his ignorance isn't what concerns me. It's his arrogance. It's the fact that during a time when so many people are suffering and scared out of their wits, he can simply cruise by a "homeless woman" asking for change and say (I imagine) "No, I won't be homeless." Ever. Not in my lifetime. I've got too much privilege. And you have to sleep in the cold tonight. And that's just the way it is.

Is this right? Is this how we should be as a society? As human beings?

No comments:

Post a Comment